Friday, February 6, 2009

Michael Phelps is Still a Flake, But Not For Kellogg

From the "Yeah, This is a Big Surprise" department:

A couple days after Michael Phelps apologized for being photographed with a marijuana pipe, the cereal maker says it has dropped the 14-time Olympic gold medalist as a spokesman.

Phelps, whose goofy mug showed up on boxes of Kellogg's Corn Flakes and Frosted Flakes after winning a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics last summer (yawn), made a big whiny celebrity apology Tuesday for not just saying no to drugs after the British tabloid News of the World dropped a picture of him pulling a Bill Clinton at a college house party last fall.

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said in a statement. "I'm 23 years old, and, despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."











"Well, maybe just one more . . ."

Despite his experience with the water (or the bong water), U.S. swimming officials also announced Thursday they were slapping Phelps on the wrist by barring him from competing for three months and withdrawing financial support from him for a period of "reprimand."

(In a move of related severity, I grounded my youngest son this week. He has no tv for seven days, and has to clean his room. I know that's tough love--but I'm sure he's not up there just playing with action figures, and he can catch any reruns he missed on hulu.com next week.)

Now that Phelps is starting to suffer from dropped sponsorship, I wonder what he will do with his extra time?

No comments: